Sunday, February 7, 2010

Along the
Broadkill
From Milton’s
“Paradise Lost”


The white fog creeps along the banks
To grace the languid Broadkill river.
From reed to reed the east wind rushes
Bringing forth my praise and thanks.

I paddle down this open water
And let the currents guide my eyes.
Flocks of sparrows drift and hover
An Eagle dives to snatch an Otter.

My birch canoe slaps out the sound
Of muddy water giving way
I dig in deep and feel the force
Pushing on , I’m homeward bound.

Sunset deepens trees that tower
High above my feathered head
Moonbeams shoot through crystal branches
I breathe in deeply nature’s power.

Scattered farms are passing by
Newcomers to our ancient spirit land
Silhouette against a lonely ridge,
The orange and violet evening sky.

My arms are aching I’m finally here
The high stars glow against the night
Filtering down through leaves of light
The words of Milton become so clear.

R. William Lindsey 11/23/09

No comments: